hey and welcome! i (eric) will be your host today. i recently got engaged to, arguably, the most amazing girl in the world. now if you will be so kind, join us on a tour of our world for the next 5 months. please take a stroll down the aisles of our blog and make yourselves at home. i would offer you some coffee or tea, but we're fresh out, although there might be some in your kitchen...(i dunno, i'm just thinkin out loud?) if you will be so kind as to turn your attention toward the center aisle, you'll be able to view the adventures of mine and katie's engagement shenanigans as we do this thing called "wedding planning." while you're at it, come back every wednesday for "wedding wednesdays" by katie, you won't want to miss it! on either side of the center isle you will find informative gadgets to help you get to know us and the things we love (cookies, people, blogs, websites, tugboat racing, etc...). we hope it's as good for you as it is for us. if you have any questions, then leave a comment on any post and "customer service" (i.e. eric) will get back to you as soon as possible! have a nice time!

Monday, February 16, 2009

The Coffee Cup

I think this song is fitting:

Worlds Apart (Live) - Jars of Clay

As I finished my coffee yesterday morning in church and began to mentally prepare for the sermon at hand, there came an opportunity to share my coffee cup with another. I had already used it to this point, so I really had no need for it. I lent my coffee cup to her and she took it and filled it up with coffee and sat back down beside me just in time for the sermon to begin. As she started to sip on her hot fresh coffee, I for some reason expected her to give me back the coffee cup. It was the oddest feeling, because I literally had a quick panic attack when she didn't give it back, and it was in this moment that I was given sight for the unseen. It occurred to me that me lending my coffee cup to another was essentially me taking something that was mine and making it hers for her enjoyment. The thing that was happening in those moments was that I saw her take ownership of something that technically was not hers. Truly Truly though it is not mine either! So in light of this significant moment, a quote is brought to mind: "He is no fool who gives up what he can not keep, to gain what he cannot lose." Today my friend, the Lord opened my eyes to his heart for us and for others. He opened them to sacrificial giving in a very small degree, but in a way that should set the tone for my life on a daily basis. Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment