hey and welcome! i (eric) will be your host today. i recently got engaged to, arguably, the most amazing girl in the world. now if you will be so kind, join us on a tour of our world for the next 5 months. please take a stroll down the aisles of our blog and make yourselves at home. i would offer you some coffee or tea, but we're fresh out, although there might be some in your kitchen...(i dunno, i'm just thinkin out loud?) if you will be so kind as to turn your attention toward the center aisle, you'll be able to view the adventures of mine and katie's engagement shenanigans as we do this thing called "wedding planning." while you're at it, come back every wednesday for "wedding wednesdays" by katie, you won't want to miss it! on either side of the center isle you will find informative gadgets to help you get to know us and the things we love (cookies, people, blogs, websites, tugboat racing, etc...). we hope it's as good for you as it is for us. if you have any questions, then leave a comment on any post and "customer service" (i.e. eric) will get back to you as soon as possible! have a nice time!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Louder Now

You should play this song as you begin to read:

None But Jesus - Hillsong United

It's amazing what you'll hear when you resign yourself to quietness. As I sat with a friend last night enjoying the stillness of their company, they proposed that today they would spend the day alone. As I awoke this morning I was almost immediately inclined to the silence that I found myself. So breaking away from tradition of the morning process, I stayed away from my iTunes as I prepared myself for the day. I decided that today, apart from times that it is necessary, I would fast from speaking. It is still early in my day, but as I've resigned myself to listen today, I've already heard a great deal more than I really cared to be made aware of. The Lord brought to mind something that has been troubling me at different points throughout the last few years, and especially now. The catch is that I did not realize that I was experiencing this agitation. I realized that over the last few years, everything that I've wanted has been with held from me. I am not speaking of daily provision, because God has been more than gracious to provide me with life and comfort that I do not deserve. No what I speak of comes in the not so tangible form. My hopes, dreams, and passions, that at sometimes BURN so hard that I can't even speak, have all been put on hold. He has told me to wait on every front. I have only recently come into contact with this feeling of discontentment again. I only know that these things He desires for me WILL come to fruition, I must only wait and trust in Him and His goodness. So today, in the quiet, in the stillness, I will wait for you Lord. I only ask that you would have your way in the sowing of your goodness in this wavering heart!

3 comments:

  1. Isn't that so true, that there seems to be so many times where we hurry up and wait? I think we could avoid this situation altogether if we would stop hurrying. if we could just be content with living life at a steady pace we wouldn't have such an itching for the next thing to come in our life, whether that be our career, marriage, or even the weekend. being still, and in your case being quiet, allows God to have a little bit more space in our crowded lives. When we're still we can finally see him, when were quiet we can finally hear him, and when we rest we can finally feel him and his comforting presence. I pray that as God is already revealing himself to you that he would continue to do so as you seek to be a better and more humble servant of his will.
    be blessed this week, eric!
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude it was good to see you this weekend (of course I wish the circumstances were different)

    About your post, I always find it interesting that most Christians know the first part of Psalm 46:10. Heck even a lot of non-Christ followers know, "Be still and know that I am God." But how many people know the rest of the verse?

    Psalm 46:10 has grossly been taken out of context and relegated to a "quite time" (by the way I really don't like those two words) verse. It is anything but "quite".

    Remember, being still and drawing near to God is huge, but we can't stop there. We do those things for reasons outside of ourselves. It's not about us. :)

    I know this post seems a little riddlesque, but I would love for you to read the verse and connect the dots. Should make a more powerful impact. I'm trying to practice that whole information to transformation thing.

    Love you bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of posting my comment, I blogged it.
    So, it's a definite response/spin off of yours.

    longing for something we seek and admire brings on so much beauty - look through that powerful lens of yours.

    ReplyDelete